Raise your hand if you’ve ever uttered the phrase “Rome wasn’t built in a day” when it came to a work deadline or exercise goals. But when you’re renovating your home or office, it can be difficult to be patient with the process. We get it – the excitement can make your cup runneth over.
One of the most important jobs we tackle on a daily basis here at Debowsky Design Group is managing expectations through all the stages of a renovation. As professionals with a few decades of experience, we anticipate and prepare for all the unexpected twists and turns of a project like yours. Our aim is to keep you informed every step of the way.
Here are a few things you can expect during the different phases of our process:
- Phase 1: Feasibility & Planning: We work with clients to assemble a list of documents, from elevation certificates, and as-built documents, to architectural and geotechnical surveys. These are used to create a history of the property along with relevant code research, which we then turn into a schematic design of the proposed project.
- Phase 2: Schematic Design. This is the fun part. In addition to preliminary budgeting, you’ll see your project come to life and be able to weigh in on all the details. Want a bigger island in the kitchen? More space and a window added to the mud room? Let’s do it.
- Phase 3: Design Development. Here, you’ll work closely with our architectural and interior design teams to finalize the plan: colors, power, lighting, and material choices, and all the hardware choices you can imagine.
- Phase 4: Construction Documents/Bidding and Permitting. During this stage of your project build, we work closely with the engineering team to prepare the permit documents, and there will still be a few interior design decisions to make. Once the plans are completed and the client has submitted to the municipality, our team at Debowsky Design Group will respond and revise documents to answer municipal comments. We advise all of our clients to hire an expediting service during this phase to handle the back-and-forth of documents, applications, and supporting documents to the building authority.
After all our phases are complete, we hand over the reins to your general contractor and watch as the magic comes to life. And yet, after decades of designing and building homes, we’ve found that real quality results happen when you’ve got someone in your corner. That’s where we set ourselves apart. We have an unofficial phase:
- Phase 5: Site Observation and Advocacy. Because, it’s happening. Your project is underway. And in order for your detailed design to become your detailed space – our team does regular site visits during construction and monitors milestone events, is available to clarify plans and details with your contractor and the construction team. Because we speak the language. We’re fluent in design – and we know that you could use someone to have your back at this stage. And we will always have yours.
Unofficially, Phase 6 is our favorite. It’s when you take residence in your new space and start living the life you always wanted. Remember: A house is not a home until you love where you live. We can get you there. Just call us.
LET'S START YOUR NEW PROJECT
SIMPLY FILL OUT THE FORM
Or contact us at the information provided below.